Arsenal supporters will be made to wait to watch Gabriel Magalhaes in action under Mikel Arteta because he will have to quarantine for 14 days after joining the club from Lille.
Gabriel Magalhaes will have to quarantine after signing for Arsenal.
The Lille defender looks set to join Mikel Arteta’s playing squad ahead of the new Premier League season, but he will be made to wait before meeting and training with his new team-mates.
The Brazilian centre-back will be forced to follow Government rules when he does travel to England to finalise the deal, with sportsman having the same guidelines as the public.
The current regulations state that anyone that travels from France to the UK must self isolate for 14 days, which will see him miss the Community Shield against Liverpool on August 29.
The Gunners will therefore comply with the guidelines when bringing in the 22-year-old, who is set to put pen to paper on a five-year deal.
Daily Star Sport understands Gabriel will cost the club £27m, with Lille having also accepted bids from both Napoli and Everton last week.
Manchester United are said to have ‘sounded out’ representative of the player last week, and are now no longer interested in a deal.
The defender is set to become their second signing of the summer after bringing in Willian on a free transfer from Chelsea, and he could fit straight into Arteta’s defence.
Arteta had made no secret of his desire to do business this summer, and said back in June: “We have to put a plan to improve our squad, that’s first, fulfil the ambitions that we have, have the right players to support the talented young players that we have.
“They are still in the very early stages of their development and we have to know that, but we don’t have time.
“The demands of this football club are huge and we cannot stay still. We have to change things, we have to improve them.
“The most important thing is not about keeping [players], it is about improving them, convince them of what we are trying to do and get them performing and winning football matches.”
Lille president Gerard Lopez explained last week that although the player was certain to leave, he has had plenty of offers.
In an interview with Sky Sports, he said: “He is one of the players that we allowed to exit the club this summer, he asked for it and wants to try something else.
“We clearly told him what our expectations were, we spoke to a number of clubs, our expectations were met by a number of clubs and we have given him the time to decide.”