Philippe Coutinho’s Barcelona future ‘decided’ after Ronald Koeman call

Philippe Coutinho looks set to return to Barcelona next season after being convinced by new manager Ronald Koeman that he is an important part of his plans.

Coutinho has spent the season on loan at Bayern Munich and came on as a second half substitute as the German giants beat PSG 1-0 to win the Champions League on Sunday.

It was unclear what the future held for him initially, with the likes of Arsenal said to be interested in his signature, and Barca president Josep Bartomeu said it was up to Koeman whether or not to sell the player.

But according to Mundo Deportivo Koeman rang Coutinho on Monday to congratulate him on the Champions League victory and assure him he wants him to stay.

It is believed Koeman is a big fan of the player having personally faced him during Coutinho’s spell at Liverpool while he was in charge of both Southampton and Everton.

He is alleged to have told the attacking midfielder that he will be an important first-team player in his new-look side, and has assured him he can win his second Champions League in a row next season – but this time with Barcelona.

Coutinho will now fly to his native Brazil for his holidays, where he will consider his options, but it is believed he is more than willing to stay and prove his worth in Catalonia.

He is said to be desperate to put things right following his disappointing time at the club so far, and will return with all guns blazing following his weeks off.

With the likes of Luis Suarez and potentially even Lionel Messi set to leave Barcelona, Coutinho may be able to step out of their shadows and make more of an impression next year, and it will be intriguing to see whether he can finally show his full potential at the Nou Camp.